Ryan Seacrest will deliver UGA's Undergraduate Commencement address on Friday, May 13, 2016 at 7 p.m. in Sanford Stadium. Seacrest is a radio host, television host, and producer. He hosts the successful talent competition TV show American Idol, the syndicated countdown program American Top 40, as well as On Air with Ryan Seacrest, a morning radio show on KIIS-FM in Los Angeles. The speaker for the Graduate Commencement will be Maurice C. Daniels, dean of the University of Georgia School of Social Work.
The 2016 Spring Undergraduate Commencement exercises will be held on Friday, May 13, 2016 at 7 p.m. in Sanford Stadium. The Graduate ceremony will be held earlier that day at 10 a.m. in Stegeman Coliseum. Doors for both ceremonies open an hour and a half prior to the events. The ceremonies will be broadcast live on Channel 15 of the University Cable System and Channel 181 of the Charter Cable System. It also will be streamed live here. Tickets are not needed for either ceremony.
For information about college and school convocations and recognition ceremonies in association with Spring 2016 Commencement, please click here.
NOTE: Bags, purses or backpacks exceeding 8.5"x11”, and wrapped packages wherein the contents are not visible* are prohibited inside Sanford Stadium and Stegeman Colisuem. Food and drinks (non-glass, non-aluminum, non-alcoholic) ARE permitted but must fit inside the permitted-sized bag. Beverage containers may also be subject to inspection.
* We advise either wrapping the gift item inside the facility after inspection or place the unboxed gift item in a gift bag. Our security personnel will ask guests to open any wrapped items for inspection. Gate personnel are instructed to enforce this rule in the interest of safety. Security has the right to inspect any item at any time for the purpose of spectator safety. Prohibited items must be returned to cars or disposed of before entering and will not be accepted by employees nor stored at the gates.
CONSTRUCTION ADVISORY: Construction of UGA's new Science Learning Center is underway. The site is east of Stegeman Coliseum. There may be traffic delays, so please plan to arrive early.
Instructions for graduates
For additional graduation information please visit the ceremony instruction link on the Student Information page.
For the comfort of families and guests
The following suggestions may make the Commencement ceremonies more enjoyable:
- Dress for the heat; light clothing is advisable
- Hat, visors and sun screen lotion are recommended
- You may wish to bring your own water
- Umbrellas are NOT allowed inside Sanford Stadium
- Smoking is prohibited inside Sanford Stadium and Stegeman Coliseum
- In the interest of all guests, no large items, such as banners and posters, or amplification equipment, such as bullhorns or megaphones, will be allowed
- Alcohol is NOT permitted at any UGA Commencement ceremony
Cameras and video recorders are permitted inside Sanford Stadium and Stegeman Coliseum. However, to avoid blocking the view of others, guests are not permitted on the stadium field or coliseum floor during the event. Only credentialed photographers are allowed in these areas.
Photographers authorized to be on the field and coliseum floor are free to roam in student seating areas but not on stage during the ceremonies. They also are not permitted to block or impede the processional or recessional. Business or business casual attire is required for all photographers. For all other media inquiries please contact Stephanie Schupska (print) or Melissa Jackson (broadcast).
Lost & Found
Future Ceremony Dates, Times and Locations
|Fall 2016||December 16, 2016, Friday||Undergraduate Ceremony in Stegeman Coliseum at 9:30 a.m.; Graduate Ceremony in Stegeman Coliseum at 2:30 p.m.|
|Spring 2017||May 5, 2017, Friday||Undergraduate Ceremony in Sanford Stadium at 7 p.m.; Graduate Ceremony in Stegeman Coliseum at 10 a.m.|
*Times and locations are subject to change.